- Before the 2010 World Cup, the Baptist Church of South Africa demanded that FIFA must restrict using vuvuzelas within the stands. The baptists claimed to have copyrights to the divine instrument. Unfortunately, FIFA did not accept this as accurate with them, and the terrible howl of vuvuzelas observed each fit of that tournament.
- For the opening match of the Argentina national team in Uruguay in 1930, a large number of Argentine fans were expected, because Buenos Aires is just on the opposite shore of the La Plata estuary. However, there were almost no Argentines in the stands. The fog was to blame, as the ship carrying the fans could not depart in time. When the fans finally arrived in Montevideo, the game was over.
- Just before the Kick-off of the 1934 World Cup final pitting Italy vs Czechoslovakia, the Swedish referee Ivan Eklind went up to Benito Mussolini’s box and had a brief chat with the Italian dictator. The content of the chat remained unknown, but Eklind’s refereeing was quite questionable. Italy won the game 2:1, scoring the winner in extra time.
- Although the World Cup has been held since 1930, the first goalless game was in the 6th tournament in 1958 when England drew with brazil 0-0.
- Before the 1938 World Cup match between Poland and Brazil, the field got soaked and swampy. A Brazilian player Leonidas attempted to take off his boots and play barefoot, however, the referee banned this sort of trick. It made Leonidas angry, and he scored 4 goals as Brazil in the long run won 6:5.
- The Red and yellow playing cards were first used in the 1970 World Cup, and previous to that, the referees booked the players verbally. The purpose for the innovation resulted from the case in the 1966 World Cup, while the Argentine participant pretended now no longer to apprehend the referee, and stayed on the pitch for a while.
- The well-known Bulgarian prophetess Vanga made a number of predictions about football. During the 1994 World Cup, she stated the final match will pity 2 teams whose names start with the letter B. However, it became her country Bulgaria that spoiled the prediction by conceding to Italy in the semifinals. The 2d finalist become Brazil.
- To put together for the World Cup in 1966, the North Korean team was isolated for half a year in a high-altitude schooling base, without holidays and the time to interact with families and friends. Strangely enough, it gave an effect. At the tournament, North Korea beat Italy and have become the first Asian team to qualify for the playoffs.
Funniest World Cup Happenings, All Time
Here are a few crazy world cup short stories that left us in stitches..
Leave a comment Leave a comment